Thursday, July 30, 2009

This Week at the Farmer's Market

Belmont Farmer's Market - 5 pm - I like to get there earlier, but in July, it's hard to miss out when there's so much fabulousness to find!

1 bunch basil
5 small multicolored heirloom tomatoes (finally tomatoes)
3 peaches
1 box raspberries
1 box blueberries
2 small summer squash
1 round of bread
4 beef patties (I got the last package!)
4 ears of corn

I had planned to use the green beans I still had from the last trip, but unfortunately, they had gotten a little soft. While usually my green bags keep them fresh for quite a while, I think they may have gotten put away not quite dry. So the green bean recipe will have to wait.

So, tonight's dinner:

Chicken Cutlet Pesto Sandwich with Fresh Corn and Kalamata Olives

Chicken Cutlet

1 chicken breast (organic, though not from the farmer's market, unfortunately)
bread crumbs (seasoned italian, but you could use panko, or homemade, or plain)
parmesan cheese (or romano)
1 egg (mine weren't local this week - I'm still using up some from pre-farmer's market season)

Pound chicken into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Mix bread crumbs and parmesan in a shallow dish. Whisk egg with a few tsp. water in another shallow dish. Coat chicken in egg, then breadcrumbs. Cook on medium high heat in a few tablespoons of olive oil until golden brown and cooked through.

Pesto

1/2 large bunch of basil (you could substitute spinach, arugula, etc)
1 handful walnuts (you could use all pine nuts)
1 handful pine nuts (OR you could use all walnuts)
1/4 cup or so parmesan cheese (to desired texture)
olive oil (to desired texture)

In a food processor, pulse basil and nuts until coarsely ground. Blend in olive oil until combined. Fold in cheese by hand to create a thick chunky paste. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen.


Chicken Cutlet Sandwich


Slice fresh bread into thick slices. Liberally spread one slice of bread with pesto. Slice a tomato and put two to three slices on top of pesto. Top with chicken cutlet and second slice of bread. Serve with corn on the cob cooked to your preference (I prefer 8 minutes in boiling water, and then coated with butter, salt and pepper) and kalamata or other black olives on the side.

Soundtrack

It was hot today, and I didn't sing because I was dehydrated. But the soundtrack in my head was Rent - I saw the tour Saturday night and my mental love affair with Adam Pascal has been renewed by his performance.


Links for You

Mass Farmers Markets
Rent: The Broadway Tour
Adam Pascal

No comments:

Post a Comment