Thursday, July 21, 2011

All About the Tomatoes

In the 90s and climbing here in Cambridge, and what am I doing - making dinner in the oven??  I know, crazy, but the nice thing about pizza is that you don't have to be in the kitchen while the oven is on very much, and that's more appealing than standing over a stovetop (and we don't have a grill).  Plus, pizza is a great showcase for summer's sweetest bounty - fresh tomatoes.

Pesto and Fresh Tomato Pizza

1 pound pizza dough (I used the multigrain from Whole Foods)
Fresh Pesto (recipe below)
shredded parmesan
fresh mozzarella
olive oil
1/2 large heirloom tomato (I like the yellow ones because they're pretty)

Let pizza dough rise.  Oil a sheet pan with olive oil and spread out dough (I make a freeform pizza, my mom has round pans and does round ones).  Spread pesto liberally over dough.  Add thinly sliced tomato, salt, pepper, a sprinkle of parmesan, and either sliced or torn fresh mozzrella.  Bake at 425 until crispy and golden and cheese is melted.  I like my pizza best at room temperature.

Fresh Pesto on a Budget

1 large bunch basil
handful sliced blanched almonds (traditionally, pesto calls for pine nuts, but they've been too expensive lately)
handful parmesan
olive oil (I used the beautiful olive oil I got last week)
1 large clove garlic

In a food processor, add basil leaves and garlic and pulse.  Add almonds and pulse some more.  Turn processor to on and stream in olive oil until the mixture comes together and looks like pesto :)  I like mine on the thick side, some people like it thinner - it's up to you!


And, in continued celebration of the tomato, I also made some Panzanella for tomorrow.

Panzanella Salad

Cubed day old bread (I used the fabulous cheddar pepper bread from Hi-Rise that I get at the Charles Square Farmers Market)
Leftover Fresh Tomato Salad
olive oil
salt
pepper
red wine vinegar
heirloom tomatoes

Toss bread cubes with olive oil.  Add leftover tomato salad, or fresh tomatoes, or a combination of the two - which is what I used today - some leftover salad, and the other 1/2 of the yellow tomato from the pizza, and a few stray cherry tomatoes that needed a home.  Salt and pepper.  Add a splash of red wine vinegar (more if you didn't have the leftover salad).  Best if served after sitting for a few hours or overnight.

Links

Purveyors of fine heirloom tomatoes - Kimball Fruit Farm
Hi-Rise Bread Company
Charles Square Farmers Market
Whole Foods - Fresh Pond

No comments:

Post a Comment